Building third party software packages with Scala and Akka
Recently at work I started tackling the builds of all the third party packages that we depend on. As you can imagine, once you have a certain number of these packages you end up with a bit of a web of dependency and the time to start and finish a correct build grows rather large. This tax on developer time lead to an unfortunate choice to just start symlinking previous builds instead of actually rebuilding packages when we move to a new OS (a particularly troublesome thing to do on OSX). In addition to this, as packages are added or upgraded, the configuration might not reflect the current state correctly.
So I set out to get the chores done and make this whole process easier to manage so that doing everything correctly became the simple thing to do.
Oh yeah… I also saw a perfect opportunity to write an application with Scala and Akka! :)
Determining What to build
There is an existing...
Continue reading →